The elite Southern California meet is just about here. Del Mar Race Track will kick-off its 75th anniversary meet this Wednesday July 18th. There will be a Wednesday through Sunday racing schedule which will be a bit challenging, since Santa Anita and Hollywood Park have conceded to a 4 day week during this current horse shortage on the West Coast.
A few bits of information and handicapping tips for early in the meet
- Glen Hill Farm led all owners with 6 wins in 2011 at Del Mar, despite sending out only 18 starters
- Jockey Corey Nakatani is back on the Southern California circuit
- The leading rider at Del Mar last year [Joel Rosario] is now riding at Saratoga
- 2012 Kentucky Derby winning rider, Mario Gutierrez,will not be riding regularly at Del Mar
- Look for trainer Peter Miller to get off to his usual fast start
- Will Mike Mitchell’s recent illness slow down his barn this meet. He led all trainers in wins last season with 25 (35% win rate!)
- Look for a close jockey title race with Bejarano,Gomez and Talamo leading the top three
- Look for (trainer) Doug O’ Neill to bounce back this year, he had only 9 wins from 111 starters in 2011.
And of course, expect to have more fun if you are able to visit Del Mar in person this 2012 Season
For more information, visit the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club at www.dmtc.com